Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This I Believe

I believe that words can hurt so much more than actions. The scars of someone hitting you or beating you will eventually go away, but the painful words of a loved one can scar your heart forever. Even if those words were not meant to be spoken, it hurts 10 times more than a hit. I grew up in a life of alcohol, arguing, seperation, and depression. Although neither one of my parents has ever intentionally tried to hurt me, they've hurt me in ways that they dont even realize.

There were so many days where my mom was drunk and said some of the most hurtful things possible to me, but never put her hands on me. Honestly, I would have rather her hit me in the face than hear those words come out from her mouth. Things like "I hate you", "go live with your father", "you bitch", "your the reason for all my problems" and so much more. Those scars will forever stay in my heart and I will never forget the things she has said to me. It made me feel alone, unloved, and unwanted. I don't think a hit can ever make someone feel that bad.

There was also a time where my dad had gone through a huge break up and was depressed to the point where he didnt care about anything anymore. I overheard him talking to my grandma one day. Ive never felt so worthless after I heard the words that came out of my dad's mouth. He told my grandma that everything he had ever worked for was worthless and he didn't care about anything or anybody anymore. I felt so bad after that because I felt like my dad didn't love me or realize that I was still actually in his life. Those scars will never go away.So when people say that words cant hurt more than physical actions, I disagree because I know what it feels like to hear the most hurtful things come from the people I love the most. I don't think any hit can even compare to the pain that words can cause to someone's heart. I still remember every word that ever came out of my parents' mouths and I guarantee that I will never forget them. Words are something that will follow you your whole life and no matter what you do to try to forget them, they will ALWAYS be there in your head reminding you ervey single day.

No comments: